2011-08-23

Chief defends Findlay Market shooting | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

OVER-T HE-RHINE - The 911 caller looked at Christopher Foster on Friday afternoon and saw a gun - and trouble.

"He's not threatening or none of that, but he had that look in his face," the caller told the dispatcher. "You know what I mean?"

The call came at 1:45 p.m. Friday and less than an hour later, Foster had been shot seven times by Cincinnati police Officer Charles Knapp in the 1800 block of Race Street here.

Police Chief James Craig said Knapp identified himself to Foster, who fumbled in his pocket, withdrew a gun and came out shooting. Knapp concealed himself and Foster eventually fell, Craig said at a briefing Saturday afternoon with Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory.

Knapp, 33, a bicycle officer known as "Chip" by merchants and residents at nearby Findlay Market, was on administrative leave Saturday as three investigations continued, although Craig made it clear he thought Knapp followed policy.

"There was an immediate threat to the officer's life, an immediate threat to the responding officers and an immediate threat to the public," Craig said. "To me, that says it all."

Foster, 23, remained in critical but stable condition at University Hospital. He was charged with attempted murder and weapons under disability, Craig said.

Friday's incident was the latest violent incident in a neighborhood that has seen declining crime over the last decade but a dramatic increase in shootings recently. From January to May there were 25 shootings, compared with nine for the same period last year, police have said previously.

"With me growing up down here, I've seen the change," said Gary Wise of South Fairmount, who was on Race Street near the shooting site Saturday. "These young men find a better education out there on the street than in the schools. I think the police are doing a great job, as limited as they are. They're outnumbered 10 to 1. I think there's more guns out on the street then there are at the police station."

Jessica Cooper lives only a couple of blocks from the site. Saturday she was packing produce at Findlay Market and said she doesn't feel unsafe walking around the neighborhood during the day.

"There's always that chance you could get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time," Cooper said, noting that Knapp would sometimes walk her to her car from Findlay Market.

At the Madison's market, Bryan Madison has a card pinned above his cash register with the name and cell phone numbers of Knapp and his partner.

"They're in this store all the time," Madison said. "They know all of the vendors. They do an outstanding job."

He said Findlay Market is safe but some streets immediately south and east are crime havens.

Craig said Foster has three prior criminal convictions, including one involving a firearm, and several others in Georgia.

He said Knapp was involved in a shooting two years ago but an investigation determined that he did not violate the department's regulations.

"We certainly do not welcome or invite any situation where we must engage a suspect in deadly force," Craig said. "However, I must say that shooting at police officers will not be tolerated."

Source: http://news.cincinnati.com

No comments:

Post a Comment